the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Score!












If you've known or read me for any length of time, you know I collect film scores and one composer whom I particularly enjoy is James Horner.

You also know that, for the past several years, I've banned myself from listening to Horner until he shapes up and produces something that isn't a derivative, self-ripoff of his earlier work. He has been, it seems to me, in a severe creative slump lately.

That may be over.

I can't stop listening to his latest work for All the King's Men, a score that is unmistakably Horner though original enough to be worthy of my money. Thunderous and emotional, it powerfully mixes brass, percussion, pianos and indigenous Southern instruments to create a score that is as bombastic and tender as the character Sean Penn plays.

While there is nothing groundbreaking here, it is certainly a very solid and listen-able score.

1 Comments:

Blogger Natalia said...

Very nice blog, thanks! I will put a link in my own...

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home