the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Home Sweet Home (Finally!)

What seemed like the impossible has finally occurred. After four weeks of spending all of my free-time searching, enduring numerous deflated "sure-things" and infuriating "bait and switches," we finally have an apartment.













The apartment lies, geographically, right off the intersection of 100th St. and the famous Broadway, in a part of the Upper West Side that is as charming as it is beautiful. For an idea of where that is, consult the above map (you'll need to click on it and make it larger to find specific locations). You'll find familiar landmarks like the Statue of Liberty, the former World Trade Centers, the Empire State Building, and Central Park. Our apartment is located west of Central Park, between Broadway and Riverside Park on 100th. NYU, if you're interested, lies in Lower/Midtown in Greenwich Village and can be pinpointed by finding Washington Square Park with its famous arch.


















The apartment is a prewar alcove studio on the 4th and top floor (which we wanted) with sunny south exposure through two large, bay windows with wood blinds. The fanned ceilings are high, the walls adorned with crown molding, and the hardwood floor intricately decorated. A wall has been erected to create a small bedroom off the entryway with its own windowed skylight, which allows sunlight to suffuse the room all day long. The kitchen is hidden in a recess in the rear of the studio. The bathroom, just gut-renovated, also has a skylight. Unfortunately, there is no fire escape for pretending we have a balcony of sorts.































As for all points of the compass, one block east is the public library. One block west is Riverside Park which abuts the shimmering Hudson River. One or two blocks north are all kinds of restaurants (Indian, Italian, Turkish, French bistros, etc), delis, bars, coffee houses, what was described to me as "the best diner in the city," and a bakery I've been told, is to kill for. Only four blocks to the south is my cousin's apartment, where I've been staying the past several weeks. The subway is a mere three blocks from my front door and a short 20-30 minute ride to NYU. Next door is a massive synagogue and across the street, nearly hidden from our view by a giant oak tree, are more attractive brownstones. A one-way street, 100th is quiet and unmolested.

I truly feel we stumbled on one of the best neighborhoods in the city. Perhaps the best things do come to those who wait, or, in my case, simply can't seem to catch a break. There is just one last catch--hoping my wife, who is still in Colorado with our belongings, likes it when she moves out in a couple weeks.

Once we get moved in, I'll doubtless share some more pictures. Until then, I'm just glad to have a place to lay my head other than a Central Park bench, which was looking more and more likely as the weeks drug by...

17 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Best thing is that the 96th St Subway stop is an express. You'll be thanking God for that station for years to come. Seriously.

Great news, Brandon.

And I know what you mean about looking at an apt before the wife come. We had the same thing. I suvived. :)

I really does look great. I can't see the downside.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! The shimmering Hudson River...

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

LOVE the pics of the apartment - it looks great! I am sure Stephanie will love it and hey, its an apartment hard searched for - the efforts will be appreciated. Really, it looks fantastic. Congrats!

Beth

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Abuts...

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon

I am so happy for you and Stephanie. The apartment looks and sounds like the idyllic place for the next few years!? What a wonderful adventure for the two of you, I couldn't be more happy for you two!!

Let us know if we can do anything to make the transition easier.

With Love
Stepmom Linda

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful! = )

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

Bravo to you. I am very happy that you will no longer have to be seperated from you lovely wife. I knew that it would happen for you two. That apartment looks very nice and cozy, just from the photos you displayed.And the neighborhood, sounds absoulutely devine. I think this will be one neighborhood that you will enjoy for quite a while. It's gonna be nice there, and very romantic. Take care let me know where I can forward an apartment warming gift. Take care and I can't wait to see the new photos.

3:58 AM  
Blogger supermn said...

It looks just the way i would have imagined a flat in NYC ... except better. Well done!

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A round of applause, for today Brandon is officially a "New Yorker"!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Actually, my cousin just informed me that, in no way, shape or form was I allowed to consider myself a New Yorker until I'd been here at least ten years. Shesh, family!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh - fuggetabboutit!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brandon,

Glad to see you've found a home.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your move to the Grande Ville!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

Blessings to you in the Big Apple!

DLP

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to see that you are up and running. I look forward to reading about your experiences when you get the chance.

JMY

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how exciting for you. How cool to live where you do. I bet you can't wait till Stephanie gets home. Don't forget to carry her over the thresholds.

Andrea

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the update. Glad to see things are going well...

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home