the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The New York Times Takes on Captain Kirk


















FOUR decades ago, when the starship Enterprise first settled into orbit around Planet M-113 on Sept. 8, 1966, I was 2 years old. I could not have known it at the time, but “Star Trek” would literally change my life.

To say that any television show has changed one’s life is to invite both mockery and pity for a poor, shuttered geek who must surely have been denied direct sunlight and the attention of women for the better part of his days. But in lieu of offering documentary proof that I do not, in fact, still reside in my parents’ basement, let me simply tell you how “Star Trek” informed the way I look at the world.

For the rest of this New York Times editorial, click here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron Moore is a god. A god I say.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Maybe that's what's wrong with the current crop...not enough Star Trek. No idealism. No communal values of pulling together for a greater good.

But how can they have missed it? Star Trek played in constant reruns from 1969-1985, after even the first "new" trek came out.

Jon Katz wrote an article years ago about X-Files having a similar effect on us. I'll see if I can dig it up.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home