the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My Brain Hurts Mr. Godard













Watched 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her in class last night.

Godard. French New Wave.

French New Wave requires a tremendous amount of mental energy. You can't watch passively. It requires all or nothing of its viewer.

With a few exceptions, every time I sit down to a French New Wave film, I always want to run from the room, clutching my cranium. I'm convinced it is residual pain from being forced to watch Godard's Weekend as an undergrad.

And then something weird happens. My antenna catches the signal. My breathing regulates and stabilizes. My cinematic reset button gets pushed and suddenly I find myself hypnotized.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grinth said...

I find myself constantly having that same reaction to Godard's films. Usually, I spend the first half of the film scratching my head and hoping the pain will fade, then something just clicks and everything seems to fall into place.

It is as if Godard suddenly decides to open Pandora's Box and reveal what's inside.

...as a side note...have you seen any of Godard's more recent work...mid-eighties on...stuff like Notre Musique and In Praise of Love, or going a little further back his insane yet beautiful version of Shakespeare's King Lear? It's unfortunate that his more recent stuff is ignored in the face of his work in the 60's.

Oh and one other thing...being at NYU I'd imagine you have access to a pretty vast wealth of material. If you can get your hands on a copy of Godard's Histoire du Cinema watch it...simply boggles the mind

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home