the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Friday, August 04, 2006

Titanic News














When "The CBS Evening News With Katie Couric" makes it's debut next month, it will not be with the usual opening musical cue. The current, 15-year old theme will be replaced with a new, as of yet unreleased theme by Oscar-winning film composer, James Horner (Titanic, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Aliens, Legends of the Fall, Glory).


















Horner is primarily responsible for getting me into film scores. As a kid, I listened to the cassette tape of The Wrath of Khan so much I nearly destroyed it. Now, I own hundreds of film scores with somewhere around 60 being works by Horner. I also own an XM-Radio set that never leaves channel 27, Cinemagic--movie scores 24 hours a day.

I confess that I am in the middle of an "I-am-sick-and-tired-of-Horner" phase and have been for some time. While a magnificent artist, the past few years (some would argue his entire career), Horner has relied on nothing but self-rip-offs and regurgitated themes from his past works. I miss the days when I could gush over him without restraint.

Here's hoping he can't screw up a 30-second clip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home