the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Is Night D.O.A.?












As of right now, 24 hours before it debuts in theaters, M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water is drowning under blistering reviews. Granted, a lot of the heavys have yet to report, but it's beginning to remind me very much of the critical reaction to The Village. I don't know why that discourages me--I thought The Village was the year's best film!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article that posted on Slate within the hour of your post, though you are probably aware of it even by now.
http://www.slate.com/id/2146169/

2:58 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

And he even paraphrases one of my favorite presidents in the last line. Great article. I completely agree.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Someone remarked somewhere recently that now that they know to do so, everybody's spending the movie trying to figure out "the twist" at the end, so they're not enjoying the movie.

Another sign of the end of civilisation? We don't know how to just listen to storytellers anymore?

Anyway, it's on my list to see; my darling hubby won't go with me. I'm open for "dates." :-)

Robin

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home