the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Crappy Movie in Disguise

















The other day at a showing of The Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, a friend and I saw the new trailer for the Transformers movie. He quickly grew animated and began pointing at the screen, an almost incoherent stream of excited gibberish coming from his mouth.

I know what he was feeling. As a child of the 80's, I well recall the fond memories of sitting down to the great Transformers cartoon or playing with the toys long into the night. However, unlike him, I am not the least bit excited for this film's release next summer. I wish it weren't so, but I predict the Transformers movie is going to suck.

How can it be otherwise? Michael Bay is at the helm.

End of discussion.

The only glimmer of anything even remotely optimistic (pun intended)--though it is not enough to offset the film's inevitable crash and burn--is that it was announced today that Peter Cullen, the original voice of Autobot leader, Optimus Prime, will also voice the live-action version of himself. Nice touch.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as the movie gets this right. This was the iconic sound of my childhood, circa eight to twelve years old.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Yes! I also wouldn't mind if they brought back the voices of Megatron (Frank Welker) and Starscream (Chris Latta). Together with Prime, these are the three that I think should be the same or should be imitated.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Grinth said...

Who knows perhaps the movie will be more than meets eye.

....sorry couldn't resist.

As a huge transformers fan myself I also am terrified about what might occur with this film.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I saw that preview too. The only thought that occurred to me (be older than you guys...) was:

"Why did it take them 20 years??"

Do kids even play with transformers anymore? Do the cartoons still run?

And, Brandon, I don't recognize the name, what's wrong with Michael Bay?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

The Island, Bad Boys, Pearl Harbor, and Armageddon is what's wrong with Michael Bay!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home