the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Monday, October 15, 2007

Trek Finds its Funny Bone

Shesh, I go out of town for one long wedding weekend and return to find not one, but two Trek casting decisions. And they aren't just any two casting decisions!


















Up to this point we've had pretty logical (no pun intended) picks, but on Friday, Paramount Pictures signed Simon Pegg (of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame) to play Scotty! I don't know whether to be delighted (I loved both of those films) or terrified! Pegg proved he can at least play at serious in Hot Fuzz and I don't doubt his acting chops in the slightest, and yet...


















Also signed was John Cho (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle) as Sulu. I had no desire to see Harold and Kumar when it came out (I want to return to it now for Neal Patrick Harris' cameo) though I did see Cho do improv in L.A. a few years back. Also an unorthodox comedic choice.

Pegg and Cho join Eric Bana as the baddie, Anton Yelchin as Chekov, Heroes' Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhura in the latest bigscreen incarnation of the classic TV series. Chris Pine has been offered the role of Kirk.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon man, even Ebert gave H&KGTWC three stars - it is a great, fun flick. It is also a great dvd... John Cho (Harold) yells out "nudity" when you jump to the scenes, because he KNOWS that's where most of us are going to go...

You see? Even being two-dimensional can have its merits...

1:35 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Pine has now accepted the role of Kirk.

6:44 AM  
Blogger LadyBronco said...

Simon Pegg will be absolutely perfect as Scotty!

I'm not familiar enough with Cho, so I'll just wait and see on that one.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home