the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Monday, October 01, 2007

Kirk is Cast!


















While Paramount is expected to make it official any day now, the most sought after position in J.J Abrams new Star Trek movie appears to have been filled.

28-year-old Mike Vogel (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poseidon, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants) is apparently set to be legendary Captain James. T. Kirk. Abrams and Vogel met on the set of Abram's upcoming monster movie Cloverfield, or whatever the heck it’s called.

Having seen him in nothing but the Cloverfield trailer, my jury's still out.

4 Comments:

Blogger LadyBronco said...

I would haver never thought of him as Kirk, but now that he appears to be the chosen one?

Yeah, I can totally see it.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Jon C. Fibbs said...

Jeez, no way in hell would I want this role. I mean, think about it...how do you play it? Do you try to parody Shatner and his infamous speech pattern, or do you toss Shatner out and reinvent the character for yourself? Neither one is a very appealing option...

7:20 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Exactly what I've said all along. Do you do Kirk or is it Shatner doing Kirk--wither way, it is a parody. You have to throw out most of Shatner. You have to.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh... interesting. He's younger than I would have expected - but I guess he would be about Shat's age at the time...

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home