the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Lot to Talk About II














It was an unremarkable week On the Lot. Only five films screened and none of them very remarkable. Though I was very unimpressed with his craft, I did enjoy Adam Stein's gutsiness in taking the short film assignment and transforming it into a musical. What I was impressed by--and it truly pains me to say this--was Michael Bay's commentary. It was lucid, spot-on, and frankly merciless.

The reaction among my friends to my watching the show has been decidedly negative. Something about wallowing in the muck. They may be right. Truth is, I could care less for the reality theatrics...I just like seeing the work the filmmakers produce. Too bad they're not all as good as Zach's Danger Zone.

3 Comments:

Blogger nicholasjcoleman said...

Any reality show that results in a "prize" ends up being crap, in my opinion. I would rather just watch thirty minute docs, or a doc series, on first-time filmmakers.

I have yet to see one of these contests result in a decent career for one of the participants.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree.

And now Michael Bay is a judge?? Dear God.

What was the substance of his commentary? Is it on the internets somewhere?

3:04 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Bay was last week's guest judge. It is a rotating position.

He was ruthless and his constructive criticism, while harsh, made complete sense. Now if only he could turn that laser sharp insight on his own films...

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home