the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Everybody Now: "Awwwwwww"














Films are based on many things: books, true stories, graphic novels, even video games. But this may be the first time I've ever heard of a film based on...a painting.

According to the "Hollywood Reporter," Thomas "The Painter of Light" Kinkade's painting "The Christmas Cottage" is the basis for an inspirational true story of how a community and an aging artist come to the aid of the Kinkade family, save the only home they had ever known, and inspire young Thomas to become America's most popular painter -- all on the day before Christmas.

Oh. Spare. Me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong. Would "Girl With A Pearl Earring" qualify as a movie based on a painting?

12:26 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Dang it. Busted.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Gatton said...

Axegrinder that's totally different. As you and Brandon know "Girl With a Pearl Earring" was based on a book based on a painting. No similarity at all!

7:21 PM  
Blogger LadyBronco said...

I'm trying not to hurl at the idea of a movie based on one of Kinkade's paintings.

I really don't like his paintings, (regardless of the money he makes, I don't think he is all that talented), and I sure as heck wouldn't waste my money on a movie based on one of them.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Sheila West said...

"Breaking Home Ties" is a Norman Rockwell painting that was made into a TV movie in 1987.

Here's the Rockwell painting:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SLV/NR0221~Breaking-Home-Ties-Posters.jpg

And here's the film synopsis:

http://movies.aol.com/movie/breaking-home-ties/1004446/synopsis

7:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hmmm....Okay, while I happen to disagree with ladybronco about the talent of Mr. Kinkade, he happens to be fairly talented in my estimation even if I don't particulary care for his style, I think it's been taken to far with the fiction books he writes based on his paintings and now the movie. I say stick to painting Mr. Kinkade.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home