the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Friday, October 13, 2006

Now Why Don't He Write?














Sorry that I've been so quiet around here lately. The past few days I've been drowning under work for my screenplay class.

The assignment was a film treatment-- the movie written down like a story--for the screenplay I will be writing, but I found the assignment a difficult one without knowing exactly where the film was going, beat by beat, in my head.

So I reversed the natural order of things and drafted a step outline first--a roadmap detailing the progression of every scene. From there I condensed it into the treatment.

I worked for three days straight, from early in the morning to after midnight each night. I knew I was in "the Zone" much of that time. It's a good feeling. It's been a while.

While this was a lot more work than was required of me at this point of the class, I have a sneaking suspicion that a Step Outline may be in my future anyway. If not, I've just made my writing life a lot easier, regardless.

Thank goodness this is a screenplay I've been preparing to write since the Spring, and had notes, research, a rough outline and the advice of a collaborator to guide me. Otherwise three days would have probably been more like three weeks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well?? When do we get to hear some details?

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home