the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Friday, December 08, 2006

Final-ly








Finals are in full swing. Nearing completion actually.

Script and Narrative Analysis, for which I turned in a 37-page, first act of my screenplay, is submitted and done. I posted a bit more on this subject here.

For my Film History and Film Sense midterm, I wrote a paper on the editing in Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai. For my final, I’m putting the final touches on an analyzation of the James Bond film, Goldfinger, with an emphasis on focalization, the male gaze, female objectification and voyeuristic scopophelia. I figured I’d choose a “fun” film instead of a “serious” film, and it’s been a joy to write. After all, patriarchal objectification of women in James Bond practically writes itself.

For Film History and Historiography, I’m following up my midterm, which focused on propaganda films and the myth of nationalism in cinema with a longer paper that uses that as a starting point to jump off into how countries take history—which has proven to be far more malleable than anyone ever dreamed possible—and reshape it after the fact, often decades or centuries after the fact. As frightening a premise as it may be, many people understand history through the lens of their entertainment. And that entertainment has the ability to alter the past, or, more specifically, our perception of that past. Given enough time, how will it be possible to separate the fact from the fiction?

My last class is this Tuesday and by Friday, all my papers will be in. Then comes a Christmas holiday of..well, I don’t know what, actually. That’s both an uncomfortable and sublime prospect.

7 Comments:

Blogger Grinth said...

37 pages for your first act? Exactly how long are you planning on having your film be? 3 hours?

Hehe, if you were to guess the length of your finished script from typical percentages between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd acts your script would end up being somewhere around 185 pages (or by typical screenwriting standards 3 hours and 5 minutes).

2:05 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Exactly, but as the film easily falls into the Epic category, I'm right on target!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Grinth said...

Hmm now the trick is to find someone in the industry who would be willing to read 185 pages.

You're way more ambitious than I am. I want to see if I can finish something that is an hour and half before I venture into anything remotely close to 3 hours.

Oh and any chance I could get a glance at what you wrote?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Hmm now the trick is to find someone in the industry who would be willing to read 185 pages.

Yeah, tell me about it. The first couple of pages better be great! This is obviously way too big a project for my first one, I admit that whole-heartedly, but you know me. Glutton for punishment.

As for reading it, you bet, I'll e-mail it to you soon...

8:22 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Brandon, what you're doing for Film History sounds fascinating! I'd love to read it sometime. With the Riefenstahl class, I have a whole new outlook on so-called "Nazi" film and the alleged "aesthetic" of the regime.

Plus, with the Disneyfication of so many classics of Literature (Hunchback) and History (Pocahontas) I'm less and less "ok" with the changes being made to stuff in the name of "entertainment."

So, even if you just send them to me, would you share?

Thanks!!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I'd be happy to share with whomever asks...

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Robin. It's a topic ripe for discussion. I see the malleability of past events more and more all around me. When the identity of Deep Throat was revealed last year, I remember a determined effort by some elements of the right wing machine to recast Nixon as an honorable man, and Watergate as "not that bad." They were being serious. Watergate! Of all things! Nothing is ever agreed upon anymore.)
Anyway, yes, everybody does it.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home