the film snob

A cyberspace journal about my experiences as an NYU film school grad student, reviews of current and classic films, film and TV news, and the rants and raves of an admitted (and unapologetic) film snob.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington D.C.

Esse Quam Videri -- To be, rather than to appear

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Marie Antoinette" Booed at Cannes


Uh-oh...

Following a screening of Sofia Coppola's new film, Marie Antoinette at the Cannes Film Festival today, the audience reacted with boos and snickers.

And this from the sycophantic, artsy crowd!

The lavish costume drama examines the life of the 18th century French teen ruler played by Kirsten Dunst, and her husband, Louis XVI, played by Jason Schwartzman.

After her intoxicating Lost in Translation, I'd watch anything Coppola directs.

But now I'm a tad bit concerned...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, today it looks like the booing (and hissing?) was political, rather than aethetically motivated.

Just read the Bloomberg review. She liked it, and quotes a French film person who dismissed the negative response as small and wrong.

Based on this review of the film, though, it sounds like they treat Marie Antionette as a modern teenager. I haven't the book it's based on, but that is so totally and completely off-base, it might ruin the film for me. (but only for the history buffs, not those who enjoy good film.)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

There is probably no film coming out this year that I am more excited about seeing than this one.

I adored "Lost in Translation" and look forward to seeing how the film's modern sensibilities (and rock soundtrack) are used to create 18th century France.

I remain optimistic.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm just being a historical Purist. One of the things that can ruin a film for me is bad history, or a complete inability of the director/author to incorporate the culture and attitudes of a different time.

On the other hand, except for the costuming, I adored A Knight's Tale. The correlation of jousting tournaments to modern football was actually quite apt, I felt. Loved the music, and what they did with it. Really did hate the costumes and hair though. Not period. Not modern. Just stupid. :-)

Also *really* liked Translation...had to see it on DVD...one of the millions I've missed in Theaters. So, I remain skeptically optimistic myself. I'm sure much of my social "crowd" will go to see it. (Some of them in costume, embarrasingly enough.)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Well, this morning on NPR, Kenneth Turran dispelled the rumors about the booing, saying it was only a few French journalist and it was politically motivated and that the film was a gem. Shew!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really wanna see it. Frenchie boos or no.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home